Re: (username) is not in the sudoers file.

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: (username) is not in the sudoers file.
visudo has the advantage of doing a sudo check on the editted file before
overwriting the existing one, so if you typo it, you didn't just completely
bork yourself. In practice, I find myself sed'ing /etc/sudoers a lot,
which wouldn't have this protection. Be sure to crush cache if you choose
to edit the files without visudo.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Dazed_75 <> wrote:

> Actually, I believe you need to use visudo as root to edit that file.
> Also, if you are still running Knoppix, you probably have an actual root
> you can log into though I could be wrong on that as I have not used Knoppix
> in years.
>

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Stephen <> wrote:
>
>> What he said :-)
>> On Jun 18, 2012 6:16 PM, "JD Austin" <> wrote:
>>
>>> That would work.
>>> Alternately add yourself to the wheel group and uncomment that line in
>>> the /etc/sudoers file.

> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
> multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
> CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
> message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
> recipient list and message body.

James McPhee