Re: Suggestions for re-tasking a Dell PowerEdge 2450

Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Suggestions for re-tasking a Dell PowerEdge 2450
I second simply killing it off, unless you need a space heater. I've
got a pair of 1850's with p4-based xeon's running esx that are barely
suitable for any heavy crunching guests (my minecraft server would
regularly kill the box with a big world), so I doubt you'll get much
mileage with p3-level gear. I'm in the process of putting to pasture
the 1850's in favor of some dell c6100 boxen I picked up off ebay.

I see people selling servers like hp dl380g5's on CL for a few hundred
bucks that already put that system to shame. You'd save that in power
alone likely with a more modern platform, not to mention maybe actually
find ram/disks for it that don't cost more than modern equivalents due
to scarcity.

-mb