Re: IpTables Question

Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IpTables Question
Looks like it's deferring "everything" sending to another chain, like a
sub grouping, where it allows tcp/4643 for management, or moves on with
the rest of the main input chain tree for the tcp/80 allows. Object
oriented acl's, not unlike object-group's in cisco or most firewall
platforms. It's easiest for them to maintain another list of
"management" protocols as a separate chain programatically as that
*should* always be present to at least restore usability from a
base-build. This is usually some blend of secure administration and
usability on a canned vps build.

They assume so long as you don't delete that management chain getting
frisky, you can get in and click a "magic reprovision and make go"
button to restore new if you screw it up that bad. Anything user-added
provision by default not setting the other specific chain just add to
the main input chain past that for parsing allows normally.

-mb