Re: Need help ripping out an nvidia binary driver installed.…

+ (text/html)
Author: Patricia Wilson
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Need help ripping out an nvidia binary driver installed...
Which nvidia one? I have four.
patricia@leothon:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i nvidia
libkwinnvidiahack4                install
nvidia-common                    install
nvidia-current                    install
nvidia-settings                    install

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM, JD Austin <> wrote:

> rmmod will only remove it from memory.. it isn't persistent across
> reboots.
> I'm not an ubuntu guy but that's based on debian..
>
> Get the list of packages installed and look for the nvidia one:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | grep -i nvidia
>
> Then remove it with apt-get :
>
> apt-get remove <package name>
>

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:15, Jim March <> wrote:
>
>> ...from an Nvidia .run file.
>>
>> I'm on ubuntu 12.04 and the Nvidia 295.40 driver is a travesty in 64bit.
>> So I got ahold of nvidia's 295.33 driver, killed X and installed it via
>> Nvidia's command-line installer. Biiiiig mistake. Fried the hell out of
>> amy graphical use whatsoever. Can't even get Nouveau to start. I think I
>> need to yank out what Nvidia's installer did. I did an rmmod nvidia - no
>> joy. Help? Typing this on my cellphone...sigh.
>>
>> Jim

Sent from my super hot-shot dual core 64 bit Gateway running Ubuntu 11 from
the chrome/teakwood/glass desktop in my Luxo Scottsdale condo.

Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL
WB8DXX