Re: Throttling mysql command line

Author: Bryan O'Neal
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Throttling mysql command line
Full text is in innodb if you use a bleeding edge build. But I would
still recomend off loading. Untill the you can use better inserts
(load data in file) or split them up. MySQL does support sleep SELECT
SLEEP(2); for example. Run 100 then sleep 2 then run 100 and repeat
untill done. Slow for 30 min is better then locked for 8. But in any
case I recomend a slave for backups and HA.

On 1/18/12, Eric Cope <> wrote:
> I only have one column that is needed for the fulltext search. I think
> it would be easier to integrate solr than to try and get MySQL to be
> better. But this comes from someone who has never used solr.
>
> So far, I have used csplit to split the file, insert one record, sleep
> for 0.01s and repeat. Its slower, but at least it doesn't cripple the
> server and when we launch this app, we can invest in solr then.
>
> On that note, I'd be interested in any tutorials anyone might have
> with respect to getting solr up and running. my attempts thus far have
> failed, all on CentOS.
>
> Eric
>

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Lisa Kachold <>
> wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> Look at 'alter table disable/enable keys'
>>>  you tell the server not to update any indexes while you're doing your
>>> bulk load.
>>>  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/alter-table.html
>>>
>>> Consider loading via tab-delimited rather than SQL.
>>>  Much much faster, but the data file must be on the mysql server's
>>> filesystem.
>>>  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/load-data.html
>>>
>>> As others suggested, do inserts in batches and sleep.
>>>
>>> alex
>>
>> --
>>
>> How about clustering ndbcluster; with a query only node?
>>
>> (602) 791-8002  Android
>> (623) 239-3392 Skype
>> (623) 688-3392 Google Voice
>> **