Re: compressing c:

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: compressing c:
I know there is filesystem there.... I just wrote it.
What in the world?
     dd if=/dev/sda2 bs=16 count=1 | od -a
says records in and records out  and then so maNY BYTES WERE COPIED IN how
much time. . Then it says..... oh how stupid I am! I created the d drive on
a logical partition..... sda5 not sda2

hmmmm.... it didn't mount it read-only but I'm getting other errors wh.en I
run fsarchiver. This time it says:
     executing [ntfs-3g -h]. . .
     command [ntfs-3g -h] returned 9
     executing [ntfs-3g -o streams_interface=xattr -o efs_raw -o ro
/dev/sda1 /tmp/fsa/20120114-164053-00]. . .
     command [ntfs-3g -o streams_interface=xattr -o efs_raw -o ro /dev/sda1
/tmp/fsa/20120114-164053-00]. . . returned 0
     Analising filesystem on /dev/sda1. . .
     [error5 (and then it gives a directory that my folks deleted before
they gave my brother this computer)]
     [error5 more text I don't want to type
     [executing fusermount]. .
     command fusermount returned 1
     executing fusermount -u <file>]. . .
     command fusermount -u <file> returned 0
     removed <fsarciver file>

This is so frustrating. I can't create an account on the fsarchiver forum
so I need to ask you guys.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Matt Graham <>wrote:

> From: Michael Havens <>
> > After searching fir an answer I found mount.ntfs-3g so I type in
> >      mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /c

> > and the machine tells me I have an invalid argument. This is strange
> > because when I mount sda1 with the same command it does it with no
> > problems.
>
> Is there a filesystem on sda2? If "mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere"
> works and it doesn't work with sda2, then check. Doing "dd if=/dev/sda2
> bs=16
> count=1 | od -a" should return a line or 2 with "N T F S" immediately
> visible.
> If you get nothing but zeroes, then there isn't an NTFS filesystem there.
> Figure out what is there and go from there. If there isn't anything there,
> sda2 isn't an extended partition, and you *want* to have an NTFS filesystem
> there, mkntfs could do that, but I don't know what Windows would do with
> it.
> It tends to get irritated when everything isn't exactly like how it
> expects.
>
> Also, when Windows creates more than one partition on a disk, it generally
> makes those extra partitions logical, not primary, or at least it *used*
> to in
> 2000/XP. "fdisk -l /dev/sda" and post the results.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see