Re: virsh and guest IP

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: virsh and guest IP
Am 03. Nov, 2011 schwätzte James Crawford so:

> I can't think of a virsh command that would return the IP of the guest.
> Are you using DHCP to assign the Guest IP?
>    Ask dhcpd server.

That isn't working, but that's due to udev rules that don't make sense for
VMen.

The clone notices that it's no longer on the same (virtual) hardware, so
udev rules move to a new networking device, but the networking rules don't
get updated. In other words, no networking, so no talking to the dhcp
server.

Below is specific to Ubuntu. Other distros are similar, but the rules
files might be otherly numbered/named.

Remove the offending rules file:

sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Copy the offending rules generation file into /etc/udev/rules.d/:

sudo cp -pi /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

Then remove 'eth*|' from the offending rule:

sudo sed -i -e 's/eth\*|//' /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

If you do that on the template the clones won't be hosed. If you already
created the clone you can just do the first step if you won't be cloning
it.

Also, go ahead and turn on the serial console, so you can connect to the
guest from virsh :).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

ciao,

der.hans
#  Very frankly, I am opposed to people being programmed by others.
#    -- Fred Rogers, aka Mr. Rogers (1928-2003)