Re: netmask in a script

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: netmask in a script
well, an IP4 address is just an unsigned int32, and a netmask is just the number of bits to keep...
you could turn the dotted notation into an int32, then mask off the proper bits, then translate back to the dotted notation.

Or you could use Python for the script and use the ip address library in Python[1] to apply the netmask.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/ipaddr-py/