Re: ubuntu host web access is slower than windows guest vm

+ (text/html)
Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ubuntu host web access is slower than windows guest vm
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Dazed_75 <> wrote:

> Josh, the first problem I have with that solution is that it is 2 years and
> 4 ubuntu releases ago. But a good explanation of the issues is buried in
> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html
>
> The section I refer to says:
>
>> Name Service Switch Configuration
>>
>> The order in which your system selects a method of resolving hostnames to
>> IP addresses is controlled by the Name Service Switch (NSS) configuration
>> file /etc/nsswitch.conf. As mentioned in the previous section, typically
>> static hostnames defined in the systems /etc/hosts file have precedence
>> over names resolved from DNS. The following is an example of the line
>> responsible for this order of hostname lookups in the file
>> /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>>
>> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

>>    -

>>    *files* first tries to resolve static hostnames located in /etc/hosts.

>>    -

>>    *mdns4_minimal* attempts to resolve the name using Multicast DNS.
>>    -

>>    *[NOTFOUND=return]* means that any response of notfound by the
>>    preceeding mdns4_minimal process should be treated as authoritative
>>    and that the system should not try to continue hunting for an answer.
>>    -

>>    *dns* represents a legacy unicast DNS query.
>>    -

>>    *mdns4* represents a Multicast DNS query.

>> To modify the order of the above mentioned name resolution methods, you
>> can simply change the hosts: string to the value of your choosing. For
>> example, if you prefer to use legacy Unicast DNS versus Multicast DNS, you
>> can change the string in /etc/nsswitch.conf as shown below.
>>
>> hosts:          files dns [NOTFOUND=return] mdns4_minimal mdns4

>> Personally, though, I just turn on dnsmasq in my router so that all
> machines on the LAN are known by the router and it caches them so a dns
> resolution workd both for LAN and WAN name resolution.

Interesting. I was guessing incorrectly as to why it worked. Regardless it's
solved my problem; we'll see if I run into side-affects.

Simply turning on dnsmasq isn't an option in my environment. We have a
complicated setup of hardware vpn's and some static routes to other offices.
Also, I'm not the network guy; just a developer.

So.. Happy it's working now but I may have to come back to this topic later.