Re ext hdd

Author: betty
To: Joseph Sinclair
CC: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re ext hdd
Thanks, your response - was very clear. only thing i'm not sure about
is the naming a "main back up directory".
so does that mean that after i format it for ext4 or xfs that i make a
dir. called
> /media/backup_disk/MyBackups/20110716T190000/).

?
then on subsequent back ups i name them for example
> /media/backup_disk/MyBackups/20110816T190000/).(note month change)

what prevents rsync from thinking that this is a whole new dir? I guess
i'm not clear on what a 'main backup dir' is.

can i use xfs as the format if my current home dir is on ext3 or 4?
Thanks,
betty i