Need Help with Wireless Networking on a New Install of Ubunt…

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips
To: Phoenix Linux Users
Subject: Need Help with Wireless Networking on a New Install of Ubuntu 11.04
I thought i would give ubuntu a try for a new laptop install. It all works,
except wireless networking. My main frustration is adding/deleting/editing
network connections through the network gui: changes to connections are not
kept when I click save, new connections don't appear in the dropdown from
the taskbar, and old connections remain in the drop down from the task bar
after then are deleted from the networking gui. I have tried rebooting, and
still connections remain that have been deleted and new ones don't shoe up.
I also tried editing a connection, (removing the password for WPA Personal),
and I still get a popup asking for authentication, but no way to enter it
into the dialog...the wireless security drop down is grayed out. Finally,
when I tried /etc/init.d/networking stop/start, I get a message about using
services networking start, but that command gives an error "rejected send
message"....when I tried service networking stop I get the error stop:
Unknown instance. I am a long time user of Debian, and I thought Ubuntu was
supposed to be the easier/friendlier dialect......

My apologies for a long rant....my question

Short of a complete system re-install, how do I get the networking gui
working, or better yet, how do I clean out the old connections that don't
work and start fresh with setting up the wireless from the command line?

Thanks,

Mark