Re: Amazon vs Linode

Author: Ted Gould
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Amazon vs Linode
On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 19:58 -0700, Vimal Shah wrote:
> -Our Linux/Sys Admin knowledge is limited and rudimentary
> -Since our launch we've had over 2000 students join and the user base
> is growing daily.
> -Software development has 3 server environments; development, stage
> and live.
> -Linode offers multiple IPs per server, Amazon has 1 IP per server
> > Multiple IP made it easy to add SSL certs to multiple environments
> - Currently dev and stage are on Linode
> - Currently live is on Amazon.
>
> Do we move from Amazon to Linode or from Linode to Amazon? Which one
> will provide the scaling we need?

I think that scaling in the cloud is probably not an issue. They'll all
scale to crazy amounts depending on the amount of money you have :-)
Probably another Cloud Provider to consider is Rackspace. I know people
who've used them successfully.

For your development setup I'd recommend setting up a private cloud. In
general, I think it's easier to be able to play and do things like
load/speed testing without having to pay the provider for bandwidth.
I've seen cases where people avoid that testing because it becomes
expensive, which is never a good idea :-)

        --Ted