Re: Its an interesting read: Anonymous speaks: the inside st…

Author: Stephen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Why does the $%&#@!# NUMLOCK key dies? :(
Subject: Re: Its an interesting read: Anonymous speaks: the inside story of the HBGary hack
I know about most of this. and i know enough to know how vulnerable a
server on initial setup would be. If i were to build a server i really
intended to expose not only would i hit the list of gotchas i have
seen go by, but i would also have a number of people beat up the
server.

Like i said I'm an inexperienced as a full Linux admin and i know it.

besides if i were to ask you to look id at least offer you a nice meal
for your trouble :-) more than likely you or whomever id ask would get
paid.

but my point being some of their mistakes, even i as inexperienced as
I am I know about

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Lisa Kachold <> wrote:
> Post your URL's and I will prove you wrong Stephen?
>
> Are you an adept Apache/Mysql admin? Do you know the ins and outs of Tomcat
> or Weblogic?  Do you understand file security and shell escapes as used for
> low level linux calls?  Can you ensure your DocumentRoot is properly
> protected?
>
> Did you install Mysql to be open to your localhost?  localhost packet
> spoofing is trivial to Metasploit.....
>
> Are you certain that every single binary on your system has been patched or
> is not vulnerable to buffer overflow, or other types of exploits?
>
> Do you run iptables on each of your systems?
>
> Of course you might just run Nexpose Community Edition on your systems
> yourself?
>

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Stephen <> wrote:
>>

>> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/anonymous-speaks-the-inside-story-of-the-hbgary-hack.ars
>>
>> I'm not a particularly experienced Linux admin, but most of these
>> would never have happened on my servers. and i know i would have had
>> them tested before i slept well at night. sheesh....
>>
>> maybe if anyone is looking you can submit some resumes? :-)
>>
>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen
>

> --
> (503) 754-4452
> (623) 688-3392
>
> Next PLUG Security Team Saturday Noon - 15:00 Gangplankhq.com
> http://plug.phoenix.az.us
>

>  http://www.obnosis.com
> Catch My MetaSploit & IP CAM Surveillance
> Presentations @ ABLEConf.com in April!

Stephen