Strange Printer Problem

Author: Steve Holmes
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Strange Printer Problem
I wonder if anyone can help me out here. I have a Brother 2270DW
connected to my local area network and have the IP address locked in
with the static DHCP leases. From the text console, printing works
fine when I use the lp or lpr commands through CUPS. However, when I
try to print anything from any program in GNOME such as gedit or
firefox, I get no print. From what I see in the CUPS access_log, the
job scheduled OK and no errors show up. When I hit the print button
from the standard print dialog in GNOME, I can hear a faint thump or
click from the printer but then nothing else happens. It's like the
print job simply disappears. Yet this all works fine from the
console.

Is there anything I can look for to track this down?

BTW, this is on an Arch Linux system but recall that CUPS is working
correctly as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any ideas.