Re: SMTP proxy for masking credit card numbers

Author: Shawn Badger
To: gm5729
CC: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SMTP proxy for masking credit card numbers
Sorry, I replied off list unintentionally,. Thanks getting it back on the list.

Yes, this was post 911. There are many regulations that regulate how
credit card number are handled within a company. But there are some
consumers that don't use the checkout process on the site or have
problems during check out and and just say send me this and here is my
credit card number to charge it to.

I think this is the type of email he is wanting to block. By masking
the credit card number before it hits the main mail server they can
prevent the number form being stored in the archive system and
transmitted across their network. The email will in theory be sent on
to some one that can call the customer back to get the order placed
(and hopefully give a little educational advice at the same time).

Yes, there may be some scammers tring to buy things this way, but for
the most part it is someone that isn't very tech savy that is just
trying to buy something.