RE: Looking For Software to Check A Hard Drive

+ (text/html)
Author: ChasM Marshall
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Looking For Software to Check A Hard Drive

Hiya,
Found a passel of S.M.A.R.T. stuff for Linux/Unix/Mac.
I think Bonnie++ is best for file systems (soft errors).

----- http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983
In this article, I explain how to use smartmontools' smartctl utility and smartd dæmon to monitor the health of a system's disks. See smartmontools.sourceforge.net for download and installation instructions and consult the WARNINGS file for a list of problem disks/controllers. Additional documentation can be found in the man pages (man smartctl and man smartd) and on the Web page.
-----http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Prolly by now you can simply:
$ man smartctl
or
$ man smartd
Then when ya know what it does:
$smartctl -a /dev/<your_drive>

"Gotchas" will be dependant on your specific USB implementation.
USB used to be pretty dumb-and-confused with ATA or SCSI adapters.
I should mention that mobo BIOS settings can also be shut off too.
For some of the Linux distros I've installed, that's just a polite request.

I happen to keep a couple of failing drives around just to reliably see the
error messages. Some distros will blow up, some will give errors,
but some, (Microsoft's) just work...

(-: Chas.M. :-)