RE: Looking For Software to Check A Hard Drive

+ (text/html)
Author: ChasM Marshall
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Looking For Software to Check A Hard Drive

Hiya,
There's a pretty cool Windows tool in "SpeedFan" that uses S.M.A.R.T. data.
S.M.A.R.T. enabled drives can report to the O.S. tons of run-time conditions.
These get compared to statistics in SpeedFan's tables to predict and chart failures.
The tables are stats amassed by the drive manufacturers and then built into SpeedFan's (upgrade-able) tables.
Totally non-destructive.

I am not aware of any Linux equivalents. But to be sure, they must be out there.

(-: Chas.M. :-)