Re: OT: DVD problem

+ (text/html)
Author: Patrick Callahan
To: m.jarvis, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: DVD problem
It could be that it's the wrong kind of DVD. DVD-R and DVD+R are actually
two separate formats, and older DVD-R players can't read DVD+R discs. See
here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable>. There's also the fact
that DVDs from different regions actually encode the
video<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code#PAL.2FSECAM_vs._NTSC>at
different resolutions and framerates. It's possible that your DVD
player
can only decode NTSC DVDs. The speed of your DVD may have an impact as well,
as some DVD players can't read the higher speeds. The last possibility is
that the hardware is physically incapable of reading most burned discs
because a burned disc doesn't have as much contrast on the medium as a
pressed one, but I'm not sure that ever actually happens.

If it's actually a region-code issue, you may be able to find a way to
unlock your DVD player on some website like
this<http://www.dvdexploder.com/>one.

Whatever issue it is, it's pretty lame. In a sane world, a DVD would be a
DVD.