Re: How to repair the file system within in a ISO file

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to repair the file system within in a ISO file
From: Shawn Badger <>
> I have a disc that someone else burned that has some errors on it.
> I was able to use ddrescue to get an ISO image of the disc created,

What filesystem was on the CD? This is important. It may be ISO9660, UDF, or
something else. What, specifically, are the errors that you're seeing? Did
dd_rescue return a bunch of bad sectors while reading the image? If so, you
may be out of luck.

> but when I went to burn that it just replicated the error to the
> new disc. Does any one know how to do an fsck (or similar) on an
> ISO image?

I don't know of any fsck for ISO9660, since that's really not meant to be
written to. The structure of ISO9660 is actually not that complicated IIRC.
UDF is more complex and can be written to. I don't see an fsck.udf here on my
system, but I do see one available in the udftools package. The utility might
be called udffsck on your distro.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/