Re: what is nagios 'SECURITY information'?

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: what is nagios 'SECURITY information'?
From: Alex Dean <>
> I have Nagios running on a local server, and I occasionally
> get some emails from it with the subject "*** SECURITY
> information for <hostname>***". The body of the message is
> just a few characters. I've done some searching in my
> Nagios logs and online, and I have no idea what these emails
> are or what they mean.

> The Nagios I'm using is from Ubuntu 9.10. I'm using only a
> very few HTTP, ssh, & ping monitors. Nothing complex at all.
>
> alex@artichoke:~$ cat /etc/issue
> Ubuntu 9.10 \n \l
>
> alex@artichoke:~$ dpkg --list | grep nagios
> ii nagios-plugins
> ii nagios-plugins-basic
> ii nagios-plugins-standard
> ii nagios3
> ii nagios3-common
> ii nagios3-doc

> I'll paste in 1 example email, including all the headers.

> Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
> Subject: *** SECURITY information for artichoke ***
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:29:59 -0600 (CST)

Hm. The string "SECURITY" doesn't show up in the context of an email subject
like that in the vanilla source tarball for nagios 3.0.6 or nagios-plugins
1.4.13. I wonder whether they put in some sort of patch, or the
nagios-plugins-basic or nagios-plugins-standard packages include something I
don't have here. If you plonk your nagios config files somewhere up on the
web, I'm sure somebody will take a look at it and maybe find something I'm not
seeing.

But I'm a tad confused by this. Does it send a mail like that every minute?
Every notification_interval minutes? We've got most of our
notification_interval settings at 60, which may be too often, but it does let
us know over and over again when $MACHINE has only 5% of its disk space left.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/