Re: computer recycling

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: computer recycling
Hi Bob,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Robert Holtzman <> wrote:

> I seem to remember a service that took old computers, refurbished them
> and distributed them to people who couldn't otherwise afford them. The
> problem is I can't remember who or where they are, assuming they're
> still active. I have a couple of *old* desktop boxes that still work
> and a monitor that seems to be on the verge of being kaput that I would
> like to donate. Can anyone help me?

Freegeek.org in Portland, Oregon is a non-proift community resource for all
things linux that accepts corporation, small business and individual
donations (for a fee since everything that is disposed of in that state
costs money). They recycle every thing that is donated, and since 2009 are
an Estandards recycler. The majority of their operating income comes from
recycling. Although the Thrift Store brings in solid income for this
non-profit as well. Since the variety of equipment donated is especially
interesting, one can find or request any conceivable part or component even
switches, telephone, satellite, radio ham or otherwise. DD-wrt, cable
DOCSIS 3.0 (in comcast land), asterisk, analog phone and serial link robots
programming kits, tools and accessories are available. Freegeek also
provides advanced community classes including php/python, etc.

Machine donatons are refurbished, and everything from motherboards, memory
to disk drives are tested and built into machines; whereupon a standard
systems box build is created for each type of user.

Freegeek.org used to remaster their own distro, called the Freakbox, but now
use a specially built version of Ubuntu. Freegeek distributes these systems
to tindividuals via a Build or "Adoption" volunteer program. Anyone needing
a computer could volunteer for 24 hours and then attend a class on basic
Linux use with the Freakbox before taking it home.

Freegeek also served non-profits, including halfway houses, group-homes,
deaf and blind accessibility programs with hardware grants.

The following volunteer internships are available (or filled, but might be
available soon) at Freegeek:

Currently Available

- Advanced Testing
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#advtest>
- Hardware Donations
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#receiving>
.
- Office Support
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#office>
.
- Printer Program
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#printers>
.
- Recycling Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#recycling>
.
- System Evaluation
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#eval>
.
- Thrift Store
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/thrift-store-volunteer-internship>
.

Currently Unavailable

- Community Partnerships
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#community>
- Distro Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#distro>
- Adoption Class Teaching
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#teacher>
.
- Tour Guide
Intern<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#tours>
.
- Volunteer Retention
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#retention>.

- Technical Support
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#techsupport>.

- Bookkeeping
Internship<http://www.freegeek.org/volunteer/internships/descriptions#books>
.

Freegeek is run by a board of directors:

Freegeek.org operates on a variety of levels, including a Community Council
that governs via a consensus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making; a Board of
Driectors.

Freegeek staff are known for their extensive contributions to wikipedia and
Defcon and exist as the lowest paid linux systems professionals in the
world.

While it would be wonderful to have a Freegeek.org here, unfortunately the
city recycling programs are significantly different.

I am not sure but I believe you can still dump an old CRT lead based monitor
in the dumpster here?
*
**Did I mention that freegeek.org is magical? Well it is.** *

Maybe a linux based organization could work here, instead of using hardware
for operating income we could use wetware? Farming of human minds seems to
work for University of Phoenix, ITT, DeVry, etc? We could still accept
donations, (once we have a non-profit status): However, we could only
accept a certain list of items, but the companies donating them would, we
assume rather get a tax write off than not? However, with freegeek.org, the
costs people pay to their facilites FOR accepting the equipment pays for
some of the expenses of recycling it to the most environmently safe sources.
I am not sure Arizona corporations would pay us to take their equipment?

A freegeek.org-TYPE linux centric non-profit here would provide:

1) Imaging services both at cost and non-profit (with a hardware grant)
2) Training sessions and certiciations for build, systems administration,
programming, security
3) Hardware store, for donations.
4) Internship programs to Colleges, Universities.
5) Interns to businesses, and contract work, picking up bids that are
otherwise going to out of the country based headhunters (Dubai, Sri Lanka,
India).

More.....

That really sounds like something for which we would want to get non-profit
status?

> --
> Bob Holtzman
> Key ID: 8D549279
> "If you think you're getting free lunch,
> check the price of the beer"

Network Operations Center Engineer
Atjeu Hosting

(503) 754-4452