Re: Lost control panel on Drupal after move from testing to …

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Lost control panel on Drupal after move from testing to live
Hi Keith,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:40 PM, keith smith <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm stuck with a Drupal problem. We built a Drupal site using a sub-domain
> drupal.xxxxx.tld. Then when we were ready to make it live, basically all I
> did was change ServerName from drupal.xxxxx.tld to www.xxxxxxx.tld

I am assuming that you built up the server going through the web based setup
to assign the initial name drupal.xxxxx.tld, where you also configured your
Mysql databases, etc?

> We are able to access the site and it displays the content as expected.
> The problem is when I try to log in to the admin control panel at
> http://www.xxxxx.tld/admin I am taken to https://drupal.xxxxx.tld which
> does not exist. (after completing the form and clicking submit) This
> results in "The webpage cannot be found".
>

> I have removed the virtual host from the ssl.conf file in an attempt to get
> down to the basics so I can figure out what is going wrong.

Put those cookie values back. It should work again.

Then make your changes to the Site Configuration TAB in Administration for
domain name.

Verify you have the right site/domain.

> There was a line in the setting.php file : $cookie_domain =
> 'drupal.xxxxx.tld'; I modified it to read $cookie_domain = 'www.xxxxx.tld';

Roll back your edits to settings.php.
Verify your system is working again.

> I'm feeling like there is a setting in drupal that I need to modify. Could
> that be so?

This behavior acts differently (requiring a patch) in subdomains, pathauto
and drupal 6.17.

*Is this Drupal 6.17:*

readme of 6.17 clues us about Drup changes to session handling:

=============================readme
Incompatible changes
Drupal 6.17 introduces the following incompatible changes.

Session handling

Drupal 6.17 changes the way session cookies are handled. Most people don't
need to have this setting set, but if you have an explicit $cookie_domain
set in settings.php, verify that it is set to a sensible value:

'example.com' if you want sessions to apply to the example.com domain, and
none of its sub-domains (especially not www.example.com),
'www.example.com' if you want sessions to apply to the
www.example.comdomain, and none of its sub-domains nor parent domains
(especially not
example.com),
'.example.com' if you want sessions to apply to the example.com domain and
all its subdomains (www.example.com, mydomain.example.com, etc.).

=============================end readme

Change your settings.php cookie line to the following value:
$cookie_domain = '.obnosis.com';

Note the preceding '.' to the domain name
*Or:
Are you using the subdomains module in Drupal 6.x?*

The D6 1.4 version of Subdomain does not require any changes to the
.htaccess file.

but *does* require a patch to settings.php. The following code should be
placed at the bottom of your settings.php as per the README.TXT file:
  function custom_url_rewrite_outbound(&$path, &$options, $original_path) {
    // Used by the Subdomain module to generate URLs with subdomains
    if (module_exists('subdomain')) {
      subdomain_url_rewrite_outbound($path, $options);
    }
  }

  function custom_url_rewrite_inbound(&$result, $path, $path_language) {
    // Used by the Subdomain module to correctly interpret URLs with
subdomains
    if (module_exists('subdomain')) {
      subdomain_url_rewrite_inbound($result, $path, $path_language);
    }
  }

The php "unexpected $end" error you're getting usually happens if you've
forgotten a closing "}" or ")" somewhere and can possibly happen if you end
the file with "?>". If you have a closing "?>" at the end of the file, be
sure and remove .

If this is not D6.14 (or those changes/patch does not resolve), try adding
to settings.php:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.([^.]+)\.([^.]+)$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([^.]+)\.([^.]+)\.([^.]+)$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=~%1/$1 [L,QSA]

Let me know if that doesn't fix it?

> Any and all feedback is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Network Operations Center Engineer
Atjeu Hosting

(503) 754-4452