Re: Need a mail app for LARGE volumes of mail...

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Need a mail app for LARGE volumes of mail...
This sounds more like a situation where you just don't trust GMail to keep your older emails, but you still really need cloud access to the current/recent email.

What you might find most useful is a hybrid setup.

Use a local store (fetchmail-into-mbox, thunderbird on POP, IMAP/Backup, etc...) on a system at home that you don't mind running as a server and have that download everything, read-only, from GMail and keep it forever in a small/light IMAP server like qmail-toaster as Eric Shubert suggests.
Set the gmail to archive and remove (might need to enable a lab for this) anything over some reasonable age (perhaps 1 year?) so it serves as a cloud-based cache for "recent" email without all the old stuff.
Use a caching IMAP client on the laptop to access gmail while on the road (gmail with offline enabled, Thunderbird in IMAP mode with local storage enabled, etc...).
Have another client at home to read from your archive server for older messages that won't be in your GMail any more.

There are a lot of variations on that structure. The primary idea being to split the huge volume of old emails from the smaller "current" volume (for whatever timeframe you consider "current").

Just a thought.

Joseph Sinclair