Re: Recommendations for SMB/CIFS file server configuration

+ (text/html)
Author: James Dugger
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Recommendations for SMB/CIFS file server configuration
Bryan,

I read through your blog on ACL's and the syntax and options that are
available. I am interested in possibly looking at configuring the network
this way. I noticed the you indicate that this method may have any impact
speed. How much?

Anyway below if have posted my current fstab from my server. I assume that
you are talking about the server fstab file here in blog.

*# /etc/fstab: static file system information.*

*#*

*# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier*

*# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name*

*# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).*

*#*

*proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0*

*# / was on /dev/md1 during installation*

*UUID=1be74d54-38f8-4011-ad19-2c88b7fe8537 /               ext4

>  errors=remount-ro 0       1*

*# swap was on /dev/md0 during installation*

*UUID=e2dcb3ae-c9dc-4332-beb2-9370394e4f10 none            swap    sw

>        0       0*

*/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0*

The directories that I have created on the (I believe /dev/md1 ) are right
off of the root directory and are:
*/av* (for audio visual)
*/business* (home business files)
*/wedev* (web development project directories)
*/home/user# Individual user home directories setup with user account.*

I had also created the following group names:
*av*
*business*
*webdev*

I have 6 users and plan on a guest user account

user1; system admin rwx access to all directories
user2; rwx access to /home, /av, and /business
users3-6; rwx access to /home/user#'s, and /av
guest; rw access to /home/guest, and /av

Preferably each user would/could have an account on any of the desktops or
laptops (This would act like a windows server user profile account,
accessible from any computer).

Let me know what you think, Thanks.

James

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Bryan O'Neal <