Re: OT: [sorta] Open source social network "Diaspora"

+ (text/html)
Author: Austin William Wright
To: schwartz, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: [sorta] Open source social network "Diaspora"
On 08/30/2010 11:27 AM, Mike Schwartz wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11108891
>

> Facebook alternative Diaspora [...]
>
> Quote: "the team will make the underlying code available for anyone to
> see and modify."
> --
> Mike Schwartz
> Glendale AZ
> <mailto:schwartz@acm.org>

There are other projects trying to create Facebook clones too:
http://opensource.appleseedproject.org/
http://www.gnu.org/software/social/

In any event, it's going in the wrong direction. The only reason you
would want to do this due to open-source fanboyism, it's not adding any
new features.

What we really want is a p2p system for sharing information, perhaps
with a rich metadata model like RDF, and then cryptographically signed
or encrypted and sent to your friends by email or a distributed hash
table or some p2p protocol that distributes and clones your information
among your friends and yourself. I've seen there is a "p2p GNU Social"
being thought up (and hopefully dropping "GNU" from the name). Maybe it
would even have a Facebook<->p2p gateway so your low-tech friends aren't
left behind.

Austin Wright.