Re: OT: MySQL DBA job (you are probably more qualified than …

Author: Rob Wultsch
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: MySQL DBA job (you are probably more qualified than you think...)
Response inline:

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM, keith smith <> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I'm always curious what a full-time corporate Linux admin might do.

This position is not for a Linux admin. A Linux would spending time
things like Bind, HTTPD, Tomcat, etc. Effective MySQL administration
deals with a much smaller subset of Linux administration.

> You say the position is broken down into the following three areas:
>
> 1) 50% Linux systems administration (if you can not work on the Linux
> CLI, stop reading)

Log into a server which is acting weird, look at the error logs.
Push out a job across the farm to kill a service and all of it's child threads.
Push out a job across the farm to update all NFS mounts.

> 2) 35% BASH/PHP/Perl programming (if you can not program/script in some language this position will be a stretch)

BASH heavily falls in with the Linux sys admin stuff. PHP get's used
for more difficult automation and for webforms.

> 3) 15% MySQL (we can teach MySQL)

Writing queries, optimizing queries and schema, setting up replication
and debugging any related issues.

> Can you provide some highlights in these three areas?  What is a set of garden variety tasks each grouping would include.
>
> Thanks!
>
> BTW: I have a friend who works in development at Godaddy and he loves it.

> Keith Smith

Rob Wultsch