Re: OT: Taking control of my life

+ (text/html)
Author: Technomage
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Taking control of my life
On 7/31/10 8:13 AM, keith smith wrote:

> Eric,
>
> These are tough times. You seem to like Linux and the things that
> surround it. I am wondering about something not so main stream.
>
> Have you thought of ways to make money off the internet? Would you be
> able to support a LAMP server? Programming? Writing (building an
> authority site on a specific theme) and affiliate marketing?
>
> It costs little in dollars to get these types of going. The real cost
> is in time. It could take 6 months of full-time effort to get things
> working and making some decent money, however after that you have
> momentum.

I wouldn't mind hosting a server or 2 here. Hwever, I am on a
residential service package and cox would terminate me quickly for any
such activity (why do they give us a fat pipe if they aren't going to
allow us to use it then?). I would seriously have to go back to school
to relearn what i have lost over years of non-use (and lacking money,
thats going to make things difficult). I can do some online learning. I
am in the midst of setting up for retraining at the Arizona Bridge to
Independent Living. I've gone 20 years without learning braille and i
find I must now use it frequently, soo. I am getting the training.

Now, I do make money from servicing computers ever now and then (word of
mouth advertising) and my rates are not cheap (about $65.00 an hour) but
I don't require payment (especially if you happen to be in the same
straights I am). I use the computer service thing to keep up minimum
skills on the hardware and software I use. I does get me over a hump in
some months though.

as for linux, I can run it either on a stand alone machine or as part of
a VM here. Since I do have a lot of uptime (unless the power drops or
cox has problems with their net) I think I can handle some remote ops (I
just can't advertise it much as cox would want a lot more $$$ to convert
me to a business line).

I'll look into LAMP or perhaps a few others. I need to relearn a lot of
stuff anyway.