RE: The inevitable eventual cost of computers.

Author: R P Herrold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: The inevitable eventual cost of computers.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Stephen Partington wrote:

> For me MS is going to be part of the world for a long time, even if the
> company self destructs next year. And a Large portion of software will work
> only on MS, if I want to use any of this software I will have a compatible
> platform.

I am truly interested. Putting to one side use cases of
recreational computing [dedicated game platforms, whether Wii,
X-Box, etc have protocol format blockers as well as as other
'proprietary' stickiness to try to lock a person to a given
platform, and frankly, better 'pedal to the metal'
performance], and putting aside applications which need to
manipulate a intentionally properietary data API (DRM'd,
patent wall, or public key protected content), what
applications are you using that 'require' a non FOSS platorm?

Stated differently: What do you need to do to earn a living,
that FOSS cannot do?

> I would love to have the core API's used open sourced and
> see wine get the funding to work with it. But that's
> unlikely.

Patent protected codecs, and per seat licensed DRM wrapped
'trade secret' implementations become available that way ...

Wine provides operability at the 'use a binary intended a
foreign OS' environment level, sort of like a sparrow wearing
scuba gear to go after a meal of grubs in a creekbed.

If a person is willing accept moving around on crutches, that
is a future, I guess, but is it worth committing to using
adaptive devices, or to find or participate in building the
FOSS alternative?

-- Russ herrold