Re: Migrating from MySQL 5.0.41 to 5.1.44

Author: Alex Dean
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Migrating from MySQL 5.0.41 to 5.1.44

On Jul 27, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Eric Cope wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am upgrading my MySQL test server from 5.0.41 to 5.1.44. Is there
> any reason I can't just dump all databases in phpmyadmin including
> mysql and information_schema and import them into the new database?
> Copying the other databases is easy, I just don't want to have to go
> and re-grant all the different users to all the different databases.

I don't think you can import information_schema. IIRC, it's like the /
proc filesystem, created by the system to give you a convenient way to
access data. I think you can just let the upgraded server create this
data.

For the 'mysql' database, new tables & columns may have been added in
5.1. There were new things added in 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0, and you don't
want to miss those. But you can run a post-upgrade script which will
check your 'mysql' database and create any missing priv columns.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-upgrade.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrading.html

The docs are good. Use 'em!

alex