Re: App Engine?

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: App Engine?
They're actually far more flexible (they have a lot fewer rules enforced by the data storage engine), but the cost of that flexibility is that the application programming is a couple orders of magnitude more complicated than with single-server systems and RDBMS's.
The RDBMS provides transactional semantics in the data storage layer; with distributed systems your application has to handle all of that, and you have to do it without creating your own n^2 lock contention, which means completely rethinking how you interact between application and datastore.
It's a hugely fun problem, but it's also among the most difficult tasks in all of Software Engineering.

Unless you actually need huge scale, you're generally better off with the well-understood semantics and simpler programming of a more "typical" system.

If you need to write a small web-based application (prototype, startup, demo, etc...) and want to avoid the cost, time, and effort of setting up your own servers then something like AppEngine can be worthwhile, since it hides almost all of that distributed-systems complexity from you, but you still have to give up transactions and accept a very different interaction mode.

Directly using the hyper-scale distributed systems, on the other hand, is really only for really big systems with lots of talented software engineers working on them. It takes many staff hours to maintain even a fairly small (~500 node) Hadoop instance each month. Maintaining something like Facebook's scale takes large dedicated teams of very skilled systems engineers just to keep it all running.

Sometime, I'd like to do a presentation to PLUG on distributed systems, but it's most appropriate for Devel, and I can't make Devel meetings more than about once a year...