remove timestamp/watermark from digital images

Author: Alex Dean
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: remove timestamp/watermark from digital images
I just got back from a camping trip. On said trip, I took hundreds of
pictures I'm really happy with. Except... the camera had some setting
enabled which stamped the date & time in a really ugly red font in the
corner of every image. I'm hoping someone can suggest a process
(ImageMagick?) to locate these stamps and remove them, maybe by
copying adjacent areas of the image or something like that?

I know I could do them by hand in Photoshop or Gimp, but I'd prefer to
start with some batch process and then fix up then ones where the
batch output isn't acceptable. The idea of doing them all by hand is
a little overwhelming.

Any ideas?

thanks,
alex