Re: load balanced configuration

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: load balanced configuration

Alex you are 100% correct.  We do not have a performance concern at this time.  I think we could combine all our sites onto one server and we would be able to handle the load without any issue.  Availability and adequate backups are our main concern.

We have two servers in our main data center and a 3rd in an off site data center.  We use resync to backup server 1's content and data regularly to the off site server.  Server 2 is backed up manually on a regular basis by one of my peers.

When I stared on this journey I was looking for the best way to provide fail over given two live servers and 1 backup server.  As I got involved in this discovery process you guys pointed out many options and exposed many of the weaknesses of our current system and the options at hand.  For that I am very grateful!

After reading every post again yesterday afternoon I wrote the following in preparation for submitting a suggested course of action to my bosses.  It has not been submitted yet because I still feel I might have missed something.

---

No matter how we configure our 3 servers, there will be a vulnerability.

If we have all three servers in the same data center then we are vulnerable to having the data center loose Internet connectivity all together.  According to several of my peers, this is not so likely.  I still would like to prepare for this possibility.

If we go to a load balanced configuration where we have two servers in different data centers, this could become problematic if the controlling DNS degrades and each server thinks it has become the main server (split brain).  I would think given the nature of the Internet that trying to replicated data real time could become a challenge.  According to one of the people giving me feedback this arrangement is high maintenance and a headache.

If we expend on our current setup by adding the backing up of server 2 to the off site  server, make the off site server a backup email server, and do external backups we still have a DNS caching issue if we make the off site server live.   While this solution could be problematic in a fail over situation it would require the lease amount of maintenance.  I think this is the solution we should follow.

---

These few short paragraphs is what I have taken away from our conversion over the past 3 days.

If you feel I have missed something or do not understand fully what my options are, please let me know.  This has been a great learning experience and I am thankful to everyone who gave input.  Thank!

Keith Smith