Re: Why does rsync change directory permissions

Author: kitepilot@kitepilot.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Why does rsync change directory permissions
The design of rsync pursues to mirror "what you have" to "what you want to
have", and that includes permissions (save some explicit "override-able"
exceptions like setuid).
Even though there may be options to override and/or expand that behavior,
the "correct and elegant way" (given the underline design and basic goals of
rsync) would be to set the appropriate permissions of the files before
transfer.

In other words:
as part or your "rsync" script, set the permissions of the files to what you
want to see in the final destination.
YMMV...
ET