Re: clam tk

Author: kitepilot@kitepilot.com
To: nicepenguin, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: clam tk
Hmmmmm...
Betty, what are you trying to accomplish?

From http://www.clamav.net :
"Clam AntiVirus is an open source (GPL) anti-virus toolkit for UNIX,
designed especially for e-mail scanning on mail gateways."

Are you running a "mail gateway"?
Do you even know what it is?

(Now risking to be burned on a bonfire)
Is there any value in compromising the performance of a machine by scanning
for viruses that mostly only exist in M$ junk?
There are LOTS of articles about it, and I chose the next one fairly
randomly:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

I would not waste my time (and bog down my machine) looking for mostly
unexisting threats. Sounds to me like creating real problems to prevent
potential problems or vaccinating against "headaches".

Clamav is a complex sucker, I run it on my "mail gateway"
(Yes, I run one)

My free advice?
apt-get uninstall clamav
Fire away...