Re: OT: Telephone land line and DSL alternatives?

Author: AZ Pete
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Telephone land line and DSL alternatives?
I have Cox for Internet, Phone and Cable.

Several months ago I was getting irritated with the high cost of the
land line phone portion of my bill. What I did was to get a Google voice
number, which provided me with free long distance and voice mail (as
well a many other excellent features - all for free). I then dropped all
the "bells & whistles" and long distance service from my land line and
simply have a basic line w/Caller ID. The cost for this land line is
$11.75 line fee + $5.95 for caller ID. The rest is various taxes. Total
land line = $28 /month.

If someone calls my land line directly (instead of my Google #), I have
an answering machine to handle that.
If you really want to get lean, drop your land line altogether and have
your Google voice number simply route to your calls to your cell phone.

As far as fax service, there is absolutely no need to have a dedicated
fax line and machine these days. There are so many online services
available for so cheap that it doesn't pay to "host" it yourself. My
brother receives hundreds of faxes each month and he pays $2-3 per month
flat rate. To send a fax, he simply sends an email to the hosting
service and they fax it appropriately (although the need for sending
faxes is getting exceedingly rare).

Hope this helps.
Peter