Re: rsync --xattrs w/ nfs

Author: kitepilot@kitepilot.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: rsync --xattrs w/ nfs
sshfs is a fuse filesystem implementation over SSH.
All you need is the "Subsystem sftp" line on the receiving end
/etc/ssh/sshd_config (which most everyone has) and to load the sshfs kernel
modules (apt-get install sshfs in *Debian)

Then you (need no root privileges):
sshfs user@remote_system:/path/to/mount /my/local/path

And you are done... :)

You umount it with
fusermount -u /my/local/path

It is almost always true that "if you can SSH into, you can mount".
If you need to access the mount as "root" you need to do some simple sorcery
(as you would need on NFS too), but for the most part, it is brain dead.
YMMV...
ET

PS: If you have any question you will get any answer... :)

Eric Shubert writes:

> I haven't tried sshfs. Don't know much at all about that.
> rsync over ssh worked fine though.
> I agree, NFS suuuux. I might look into NFS4 at some point, but I can't say
> I'm looking forward to it.
>
> wrote:
>> Just wondering...
>> Can you ditch NFS and do sshfs?
>> NFS suuucks...
>> ET
>>

>> Eric Shubert writes:

>>> Just for the record, mounting with cifs didn't work either. /proc/mounts
>>> did not show the xattrs option in either case. So I'm guessing that
>>> xattrs on a remote cifs is just not supported yet, although I'm not
>>> quite certain what is missing. The kernel appears to have xattr enabled:
>>> # grep -i attr /boot/config-2.6.18-128.2.1.el5
>>> CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=m
>>> CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=m
>>> CONFIG_SCSI_FC_ATTRS=m
>>> CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS=m