Re: plug] VOIP Shopping time

Author: R P Herrold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: plug] VOIP Shopping time
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, gm5729 wrote:

> I put together my own voip tis past weekend. After looking
> at like 4-5 FOSS websites. I was honestly more confused then
> when I started looking around. Everything to me looked like
> stuff for call centers. I just want a simple phone.

On my list, the Grandstream BT-201 and the -102 are each a
conventional looking black telephone with some feature butons
and lights, look like a 'desk keyset' in an office, but with
the property that instead of running back to a local phone
controller usually over CAT-3 cabling, these units are
assigned an IP, and connected through a RJ-45 ethernet
connection, and routed like any other computer device. Call
control signals, voice data, and other signals (think: hold
buttons, and message waiting lights) are manageable through
SIP to a central Freeswitch or Asterisk 'PBX' which need not
be on site

The rest of the units I mentioned are ATA -- analog telephone
adapters, exporting FXS and FXO -- subscriber, and central
office type lines, respectively -- which a plain old 'dumb'
POTS phone's RJ-11 may be plugged

-- Russ herrold