Re: OT: Method of packaging software for shipment

+ PGP.sig (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Alex Dean
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Method of packaging software for shipment

On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:10 AM, Eric Cope wrote:

> Alex,
> Can you share more about how you operate this testing machine? Does
> this machine do automatic daily testing? how do you control it? Is
> it cron/bash based? I am working on a web application. Would it be
> possible to port my PHP unit tests and Selenium integration tests? I
> am very interested in your process. Craig, if you have a process, I
> am also interested in yours as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

We use cruisecontrol.rb, which is a Rails application for testing
other Rails applications. It re-runs all tests every time it detects
a new commit in subversion. (Works with git, mercurial, etc as well.)

http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com/documentation/docs

I found, but have never used, phpUnderControl : http://www.phpundercontrol.org/about.html
That might fit your bill?

As far as Selenium... we have Selenium tests in our test suite, but
we currently have no automated way to run them. I know there's
Selenium Remote Control, which can be used to farm the tests out to
various boxes (so you can run all your tests in IE7+WinXP, IE8+Vista,
FF+WinXP, FF+OSX, etc, etc). I presume this is done in some automated
fashion, like cruisecontrol.rb. We have never made the time to set
that up, which I do think is a gap in our current testing process.

http://seleniumhq.org/projects/remote-control/

alex