Re: OT: go-default screens.

Author: joe@actionline.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: go-default screens.
> On 2/26/10 7:39 PM, Nathan England wrote:
>> I recently bought a so called hi-def tv screen and despite its 1360,768
>> 780p resolution my movies still have the black borders! What gives? I
>> thought having a hi-def wide screen would fix the black borders issue.
>> If I hook up a hdmi connection to a new dvd player, is it still going to
>> have the annoying black borders? Funny when we were all full screen we
>> wanted to be widescreen, now we are widescreen and we want to have a
>> fullscreen!
>
> Ah, but "wide screen" is all in the eye of the beholder. HDTVs are
> called wide screen because they have a 16:9 aspect ratio as compared to
> the 4:3 aspect ratio of previous screens. But 16:9 isn't the only wide
> aspect ratios out there. In fact, pretty much all movies are shot in
> 1.85:1 or 2.39:1. That's why you still have the black bars, even on
> your HDTV -- they may be wider than your older TV but they still aren't
> as wide as a movie screen.

Nathan, I assume you are seeing black borders only on the left and right
side and not all around (including bottom and top). Are you seeing 16:9
wide screen completely filling the screen on any channels or on any DVDs?
If so, then everything is working normally. Many DVDs allow you to choose
16:9 "wide-screen" or "standard" (2x3) aspect ratio viewing. Some DVDs
are even two-sided with "standard" recorded on one side and "wide-screen"
recorded on the other side. You also probably have a button on your
remote control to choose between 16:9 and 2x3 aspect ratio and even "zoom"
to view 2x3 ratio films that fill the screen from side to side but
chopping off the top and bottom. The major networks broadcast in 16:9
wide-screen most of the time, but some other channels broadcast only 2x3
ratio.