Re: VOT: A+

Author: Technomage
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: VOT: A+
Stephen wrote:
> OEM has no support from Microsoft that's theDifference
>
> On 11/22/09, Trent Shipley <> wrote:
>
>> Right now the lab system has Vista on it.
>>

>> What evil consequences will befall me if I get the OEM version of XP?
>> It is about $100 less than the generic XP shrink wrapped box.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back and answer this sooner, been bust with
local chores and finding employment.

Differences between retail windows and OEM:
1. retail gets you *some* support from MS (at a substantial fee for the
phone calls)
2. OEM; if you purchase this and install yourself, you are your own tech
support. MS will not help you
    unless you sign a service contract with them (this is prohibitively
expensive for a single individual). Also
    MS will direct you to seek assistance from your OEM (if thats you,
you are SOL).

as with either version, online updates are free of charge.