Re: Data Recovery USB flash drive, was: Data Recovery from B…

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Data Recovery USB flash drive, was: Data Recovery from Buffalo NAS
From: Mike Bushroe <>
> I have just discovered that one of my USB thumb drives is no longer
> readable. At first, Linux reported a short MBF or partition read?
> Now, after running some demo only mode data recovery programs in
> Windows, it does not register or open at all.

If "dd if=/dev/sdN of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1" returns errors, then
you've probably got serious hardware problems. You could try using
dd_rescue to make a copy of the disk, but I wouldn't hold out too
much hope for that. Whatever you do, turn off any automounter
thing, because it'll do stupid things when presented with a failing
disk. When you plug the drive in, what does dmesg say about the
drive? Reproduce those messages for us.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/