Re: Determining hard drive state

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Determining hard drive state
After a long battle with technology, Alan Dayley wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Kirk Bauer <> wrote:
>> I have a laptop with two hard drives: an SSD running Ubuntu 9.10 and a
>> regular hard drive with Windows 7.  My hope is that the spinning drive
>> is normally not spinning, but I can't hear it, and I can't figure out
>> how to tell (from Linux) if it is powered on or not.

"hdparm -C /dev/whatever" should tell you. Disks that are spinning show up as
active/idle, disks that are not should be standby or sleeping. Disks that
are USB give me a set of weird SCSI errors and "unknown", though, so YMMV on
this.

> By default, if the hard drive has power, it is spinning. Unless the
> host computer commands it to spin down, it is spinning. Oh, and most any
> command sent to the drive by the host will cause it to spin back up. Linux
> usually does not do this but configurations vary.

In general, you won't be able to spin down any disk that
contains / , /var , /usr , or /home unless nobody's logged in.

--
I will rule you all with my iron fist. YOU! Obey the fist!
--Invader Zim