Re: IRC Channel Access

Author: Technomage
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: IRC Channel Access
Sean Parsons wrote:
> They say there is some DCC exploit my router is susceptible to, but can't be
> specific, so they run some test on my connection and then kick/ban me from
> channels. There is nothing wrong with my Linksys WRT54G router, except some
> script kiddies on their network flood channels and I will apparently loose
> connection and be dropped. So instead of educating people or patching their
> servers, they kick//ban people, and when you ask questions the play with
> their bots and pelt you with useless links... 6 on 1 is a bit overwhelming.
>

> I tried 3 clients, same thing. Whatever they have built tests connections.
> They can't explain why this is an issue to them if my connection gets
> dropped, it's really my problem... They suggested changing from port 6667 to
> 8001 and after a great deal of confusion about "how " to do it in the
> various clients, I was still kicked/banned from certain channels. So I give
> up with these guys and their power trip. I've done nothing but
> read/learn/contribute so I'm not a threat, but they feel this is the way to
> handle things.
>

> The DCC problem has been an issue for years, but to suddenly target users in
> chat rooms designed to educate, is ridiculous and irresponsible behavior. So
> I'd rather not use freenode, unless I have no other choice. BTW I am on a
> fixed IP so it wouldn't take much for then to ban me from every channel..
>

> Sean Parsons

Sean, this info was a bit new for me so I looked it up:

        DCC SEND exploit

The DCC send exploit can refer to two bugs, a variant buffer overflow
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow> error in mIRC
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRC> triggered by filenames longer than
14 characters^[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Client-to-Client#cite_note-0> and
an input validation error
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Input_validation_error&action=edit&redlink=1>
in some routers manufactured by Netgear
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear>, D-Link
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Link> and Linksys
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys>, triggered by the use of port
0^[/citation needed
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>/] . The router
exploit, in particular, may be triggered when the phrase 'DCC SEND '
followed by at least 6 characters without spaces or newlines appears
anywhere in a TCP
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol> stream on
port 6667, not just when an actual DCC SEND request has been made. (from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Client-to-Client)

learn something new every day. :)
Unfortunately, they don't specify which models are affected, or even
what the test is to determine
if you have an affected model. Personally, I don't use such commodity
devices as they cannot handle
some of the traffic I put through here daily (several other game players
in the house wanting access
on specific ports, torrent traffic, all that). I use an openbsd box
(which gives me full control of what
where and how). I could help you setup one if you want.