Re: Sugar on a Stick - Sugar Labs

Author: Eric Shubert
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Sugar on a Stick - Sugar Labs
Dazed_75 wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Eric Shubert <
> <mailto:ejs@shubes.net>> wrote:
>
>     Dazed_75 wrote:
>      >

>      >
>      > On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Eric Shubert <
>     <mailto:ejs@shubes.net>
>      > <mailto:ejs@shubes.net <mailto:ejs@shubes.net>>> wrote:

>      >
>      >     liveusb-creator is pretty cool all right. I'm putting CentOS
>     on a thumb
>      >     drive presently though.

>      >
>      >     I'm running Ubuntu Heron (LTS) on my desktop and didn't find
>     l-c in the
>      >     repos, so I'm running it in my Vista VM. I'd rather not have
>     to go there
>      >     though. Anyone know if there's an easy way to get l-c on to
>     Ubuntu
>      >     (short of building the source)?

>      >
>      >     --
>      >     -Eric 'shubes'

>      >
>      > Eric, thats becuase your are running the ancient Hardy Heron!  Yes, I
>      > know why you are, but that is why you don't just have a menu
>     entry for
>      > creating a live USB from a CD or .iso
>      > --
>      > Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

>      >

>     Ha!

>     Will the menu entry let you create only a Ubuntu Live USB, or any other
>     Live iso (with persistence), as liveusb-creator does.

>     --
>     -Eric 'shubes'

> I stand corrected. I thought it would do any from a LiveCD .iso file
> but it only does ubuntu apparently. Similarly, the Fedora usb-creator
> only does Fedoras. In fact, I found someone complaining that he could
> not use it on Fedora 10 to create a LiveUSB from a Fedora 11 .iso and it
> turned out that was because 11 needed a newer syslinux.
>
> OTOH, unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) will create many
> different flavors and is available for both linux and windows. I
> installed it in Jaunty right from the regular repositories.
>
> Or you might prefer FUSBi ( http://www.aligunduz.org/FUSBi/ ) which is a
> unetbootin derivative which only does FSF approved free software only
> distributions.
>
> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
> occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
> - Thomas Jefferson

I stand (sit, more like) corrected as well. I don't know where/how I got
the idea that liveusb-creator can create a stick from *any* live iso.
I've tried backtrack3 and samurai with no success. I'm seeing
[creator:750] Unable to get GetVolumeInformation(A:): (21,
'GetVolumeInformation', 'The device is not ready.')
in the log, but don't know how that relates to the failure. l-c goes
through the motions and there's stuff on the drive, but the machine I'm
testing with doesn't see the drive as bootable, even though the
partition is flagged as such. I don't know if the failure is a bug or
that some isos aren't supported. Sometimes that's the same thing. ;)

I'll give FUSBi a try next. For the distros I'm trying to do, that
/should/ be sufficient.

Thanks for the links!

--
-Eric 'shubes'