Re: PLUG's role in improving Phx

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: PLUG's role in improving Phx
On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Alan Dayley <> wrote:

> The thread I started and fed a bit, "Geek/Tech/Entrepreneur Stuff to
> do in PHX"[1], has spun off into the weeds of "non-Linux" and
> "non-group" discussion. Some of it is very interesting but it is far
> afield from the purpose of this email list. I'd like to try to pull
> it back around to direct relevancy.

Sorry Alan, but I started just deleting the topic because my choice is to
stay out of most of the OT stuff. I am glad you are trying to refocus under
a new title. I do have a suggestion below.

> Given:
> - Arizona and specifically the Phoenix valley has many
> Geek/Tech/Entrepreneur events and groups.
> - Some of these events and groups are weak attempts at marketing or
> self-aggrandizement or creating closed clubs or sincere but misguided
> dreamers.
> - Some of these events and groups truly aspire to great things and
> work to make them happen.
> - PLUG is, perhaps, one of the later, working to help our community.
>
> Question:
> What can we, PLUG and individual members of PLUG, do to improve
> community, business, entrepreneurship and life for us in Phoenix?

I don't know if this has ever been suggested in PLUG, but one thought might
be to put together one or more canned presentations on Linux and/or FOSS and
have a small group of presenters that can put the show on at area schools.
Ideally, we could have someone familiar with the school systems to be a
contact to arrange the schedules. The presentations should have a focus
suitable for a school audience.

If this program did well, we might then consider other target audiences and
how to adapt the presentations for those audiences.

> Comment:
> I went back in the thread and read most of it. There are great ideas
> there and good thinkers who don't always agree but have strong voices.
> And I see a great deal of criticism. And I see little in the way of
> what to DO about all the negative things mentioned. We should be
> having a constructive discussion about the "right way" to grow
> community and technology in Phoenix, and PLUG's part in that. Let's
> do that discussion.
>
> In my opinion.
>
> Alan
>
> [1] (
> http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/thread/20090731.152112.dc0a0269.en.html#20090731.152112.dc0a0269
> )

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson