Re: opensource wide area san?

Author: Stephen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: opensource wide area san?
Well this only has to last for about 4 months then most of our remote
sites collapse into our new facility

2 of the buildings aren't really ours so the 10mb Ethernet is/was not
an option. (it is in the new building)

Ill have to revisit openAFS as i havent looked at it in some time (was
kinda neat but impractical for me at the time)

I am thinking i might try dfs-r and kludge along until we are in the
new facility then revisit this for the one site that will remain
offsite.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Bryan O'Neal<> wrote:
> Have you thought about an Open AFS cluster?
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Stephen <> wrote:
>>
>> We are useing an openfiler server here and it has been running great.
>>
>> right now it is hosting several iSCSI connections to our servers
>> however we need to replicate data on one of the iSCSI volumes between
>> 2 sites.
>>
>> internally using DRBD/heartbeat comes to mind as a new but no brainer
>> solution. however these servers need to live in 2 different states
>> (and eventually maybe 3-4 locations)
>>
>> generally it would seem that rsync would be better however it is a
>> file level replication and seems that it would not be able to
>> replicate the iSCSI volume which is block level...
>>
>> can DRBD/heartbeat sync across a t-1 or pair of bonded t-1's? or will
>> it eat the pipe?
>>
>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

Stephen