Re: location for July 2009 "W Side" meeting

Author: der.hans
To: Mike Schwartz
CC: PLUG-discuss mailing list
Subject: Re: location for July 2009 "W Side" meeting
Am 20. Jul, 2009 schwätzte Mike Schwartz so:

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:50 AM, der.hans <> wrote:

> By the way, that "huge" room,
> is called the Eagle Room.
> Just "FYI".

Ah, based on the site I thought it was the Roadrunner room. I'll update
the event.

> You might want to also "consider" what the web
> site should say about the start / end times.
>
> The library (whole building) closes at 21:00
> -- "shut tight as the door of a full flight at PHX
> where they have already bumped some of the
> passengers who had reservations" --
>
> ...so, it is misleading to leave the "22:00" there.

Not a biggie, but OK.

> As far as, the *start* time, I realize that we may be
> trying to avoid inconveniencing those who do not
> get off work until a certain time...
> so maybe leaving 19:00 is appropriate.

Yup.

> But maybe we should at least "mention" that the
> room is reserved starting at 18:00, so just in case

We always want to have the room open a half hour before the mtg starts. An
extra half hour is fine.

>> We also need it for next month if possible.
>
> As of the last time I checked (circa July 6) (when I made the resv. for July
> 22), both the large room (Eagle) and the medium-size room (Hummingbird,
> which we used in June 2009) were already "booked" for the 4th Wed. of Aug.,
> so ...

Ah. OK, we'll have to make other arrangements for next month.

> Maybe ACAA will be available by then?

Unlikely. I believe it's the first week of classes, so they'll be busy.

> if not, then
> would we consider making a one-time change to the
> custom of having the W side meeting on the "4th Wed. of the month" -- ?

Better a temporary location than a temporary night. If all else fails
we'll go straight to food next month. Well, I might not be there if I get
enough students for my shell scripting class :).

>> Does the huge room have a projector?
> I don't know.
> But if not, then I might be able to borrow one -- from a guy I know who has
> taught several ("non credit") classes that I have taken, and has showed
> [during class] both slides and videos, using a projector that was hooked up
> to a laptop PC (running an OS that was, um, not Gnu/Linux, and not even BSD
> based...).

OK. We definitely need a projector this month.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
#  better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use
#  of one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth