Re: Google Chrome OS on Linux

Author: Ryan Rix
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Google Chrome OS on Linux
On Wed 8 July 2009 4:06:14 pm Francis Earl wrote:

> The entire system will be open sourced, so everything necessary for
> innovation will be available to developers. I've never really sold into the
> whole "Open Source EVERYTHING!" mantra, I simply don't care provided the
> software strictly adheres to standards. With the platform being the web, it
> will be sort of difficult for that not to happen.
>
> If you limit yourself to open source software, you're doing yourself an
> injustice.

And there, m'lad, is the difference between you and I: I think you are doing
yourself an injustice by limiting your freedoms. I think you're doing yourself
an injustice by relying on 3rd parties for everything, and have no freedom to
adapt the software to your needs, no freedom to use the software as you
please...

But, hey, the freedom to give up your freedom is indeed a freedom.

I'm oldschool like that; I think I would have a hell of a fun time at MIT's AI
Lab; I was probably born in the wrong decade. But, software, to me, is
befitting of the (early) american ideal that "all men" (developers and users)
are created equal. As long as they are white and landowning males. ;D

Ryan