Re: Linux work in Tucson

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux work in Tucson
From: Ryan Rix <>
> Paul Mooring<> wrote:
>> I'm looking for someone in Tucson to do some fairly minor linux
>> work, we have an old gateway server that needs a password reset
>> and ssh turned on.
> passwd && /etc/init.d/ssh start

The first won't work in some circumstances, like if everyone's
forgotten the root password to the box. In that case, you pretty
much have to boot to a rescue CD, chroot to where / was, and then
do passwd. Or reboot with "init=/bin/sh" in the kernel parameters
and mount / -o remount,rw , then do passwd. All of this is pretty
easy and doesn't require a consultant.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/