Re: Thinkpad z60t wwireless w/centos

+ (text/html)
Author: Patrick Jacques
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Thinkpad z60t wwireless w/centos

Purchase new hardware??  That's horrible advice for a RHCE in training,
especially when the chipset has been supported for years (madwifi).
It's always easy to work around the problem instead of solving it, but
the knowledge gained from the experience of tackling the problem head
on is a gift that keeps giving.

That being said, have you tried:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless#head-0f9ce16affec7ef03a42924029b768a416f8b825

After you do a 'modprobe ath5k'  what is the tail end of the output of
the 'dmesg' command?  This will tell you if the kernel is loading the
module and if it's recognizing your wireless card.  You can also use
the 'iwconfig' command to see if the wireless extensions are loading,
what their settings are(AP, channel, etc), as well as manually change
these settings.  You'll probably want to configure the card using
NetworkManager though:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager

To load the ath5k module at boot, follow:

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/centos_linux_guides/centos_enterprise_linux_sysadmin_guide/s1-kernel-modules-persistant.html

You've already ruled out hardware failure cause it works under ubuntu
(which is running a more recent kernel).  If the above doesn't help,
what kernel (uname -r) and version of centos (cat /etc/issue) are you
running? It mentions a bug in the ath5k driver for the 2.6.18-128
kernel, 2.6.18-141 seems to fix it.

Patrick

Steve Phariss wrote:

I have a lenovo/IBM thinkpad Z60T that I am unable to set up wireless
under Centos.  I have tried several online howtos, and so far no luck.

The Thinkpad wireless info is as follows:
0000:13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

At this point I wonder if I have tried too many things and changed to many drivers around. I would be open to reinstalling centos if needed.

Should I come into the next install fest, or does someone have a howto that they have actually had work????

It does work under ubuntu 9.04, but I would like to stay with centos for now as it is my learning system right now for RHCE.

Thanks

Steve Phariss